Sunday, January 1, 2017

Waving goodbye to 2016

Which was not a particularly kind year health wise for a few of my family members and friends.   Nor was it a good year on the natural disaster front both locally and overseas.    Fortunately we were very lucky unlike some in our area and were not flooded during the heavy relentless  rain that continued for several days during June.    Quite a few of the homes and buildings  that were affected by the heavy rain and seas are still under repair today some 6 months later.     There has also been a lot of unrest worldwide so I am hoping for a healthier, safer, happier and better 2017 for all concerned.

On a happier note 4 generations of the family were able to join together and enjoy Christmas lunch. Hubs and I were able to get away for a couple short breaks during the past year and Miss M continues to be a delight -  we enjoy having her each Monday while her parents are working.  We  had a few repairs and replacements done around our home during the year which we are very happy with.   I also met up with my friend  as we celebrated our "40th friendship anniversary".    I purchased an overlocker during the year and wondered why I did not do this years ago.    How quick it is to sew up a garment.

Looking back at my sewing over the past year I achieved quite a few finishes and made quite a few starts which need to be turned into finishes during this year.      One of them was the Rainbow Scrap Challenge which I enjoyed immensely but only got as far as this before coming to a halt in November.  


Lengthwise it is about right but it needs to be a bit wider so that will be one of finishes for OMG being organised by Elm Street Quilts for 2017.     I also joined up with  Quilty Folk for the Quilty 365 challenge and pleased to say that I did complete 366 blocks - this year being a leap year - so that will keep me busy putting all those together.  Another one for OMG.

JoJo over at Through my hands blog came up with an interesting idea where we can travel the world with her and others as she takes us each month to another country.   All that we needed to join  was to apply for a passport for the fun to begin and so far we have sewn our way through Oregon - her home State, Hawaii, Canada and the current destination is England.     If you would like to see what this all about you can here.

I did start a messenger bag for hubs during December but due to all the Christmas/New Year activities I have not been near my sewing room for a few weeks.  I need to get my head around where I am up to as I have bits and pieces at various levels of construction.  This will be first project to finish off for the New Year.



I am looking forward to joining up with some more challenges as well as completing those set by my quilting group and of course sewing for Miss M.  Time allowed this afternoon to cut out such a cute piece of fabric for a nightie.  


I am embarrassed to say that I have not listed a couple of items which have been around for a LONG time but I might surprise myself and add them to OMG as the year progresses.

Linking with OMG at Elm Street Quilts.

Back soon and in the meantime

Happy sewing all





4 comments:

Maria said...

Enjoy working on your UFOs Karen...
I decided on no lists this year and just doing whatever I feel like....

Happy New Year to you and yours....

Anthea said...

Happy New Year Karen... wow your Rainbow Challenge looks great... I look forward to seeing how you finish it!

Anonymous said...

I really like your rainbow quilt! That'll be fantastic, finished!

Patty said...

Love making bags. Thanks for thinking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal. Good luck with your goal!